18 Seventy Six Dr.
Deadwood, SD 57732
The Days of ’76 began as a way to honor Deadwood’s first pioneers – the prospectors, miners, muleskinners and madams who poured into the Black Hills in 1876 to settle the gold-filled gulches of Dakota Territory. Since the first celebration in 1923, the Days of ‘76 have grown into a legendary annual event with a historic parade and an award-winning PRCA rodeo. The Days of ’76 museum began informally, as a repository for the horse drawn wagons and stage coaches, carriages, clothing, memorabilia and archives generated by the celebration.
In 1990 Don Clowser installed his collection of important Old West Pioneer and American Indian artifacts, archives, firearms and archives into the pole barn that was the museum. Added to what was recognized as the largest collection of horse-drawn vehicles in the state, it became clear that the Days of ’76 Museum needed a new home. In 2004 the board of the Days of ‘76 Museum, supported with a $3,000,000 gift from the City of Deadwood, pledged to construct a new $5.25 million, 32,000-square-foot home for its collections of Western and American Indian artifacts, archives, photos and artwork.
Hours of Operation
May – September
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
October – April Closed Mondays and Holidays
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Blue Star Museums program. Free admission program is available from Memorial Day through Labor Day, to active-duty military and their immediate family members (military ID holder and five immediate family members), which includes active duty Reserve and active duty National Guard.